top of page
Diseño sin título.png

Preguntas frecuentes

 Australian Computer Society (ACS)

  • How long does the Skills Assessment process with Engineers Australia take?
    Processing time varies according to the number of applications they have at any given time, but generally takes several weeks or months.
  • Can I update my application with Engineers Australia after submitting it?
    You are not allowed to update your application after you have submitted it. However, if there are significant changes to your work experience or qualifications during the assessment process, you must inform Engineers Australia as soon as possible.
  • What is the cost of the Skills Assessment before Engineers Australia?
    The current cost of the Skills Assessment without validation of professional experience as at September 2023 is AUD $313.50. Find other related costs below:
  • How are my technical skills assessed during the Skills Assessment?
    Engineers Australia assesses your technical skills by reviewing your educational background, work experience and supporting documents provided. Additional interviews or tests may also be conducted in some cases.
  • Is the Skills Assessment with Engineers Australia necessary to apply for a migration visa?
    Engineers Australia is one of the approved assessing agencies for certain Australian migration visas. Please refer to the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (Home Affairs) website for specific visa requirements and accepted assessing agencies.
  • Is demonstration of technical competence required in the Skills Assessment?
    Engineers Australia does not generally require demonstration of specific technical competence for the Skills Assessment. However, you must be able to demonstrate that your education and work experience have adequately prepared you to practise as an engineer in your specific profession.
  • Is it necessary to renew the Skills Assessment after a period of time?
    The Engineers Australia Skills Assessment does not have a specific expiry date. However, you may be required to provide updated information about your work experience and maintain your membership with Engineers Australia if you wish to use the Skills Assessment for migration purposes. The Engineers Australia Skills Assessment is generally valid for three years with Home Affairs from the date of issue. However, migration visas have additional requirements and may have different timelines.
  • Can I use the Skills Assessment to apply for different migration visas?
    The Engineers Australia Skills Assessment is accepted for certain migration visas, such as the Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) and the Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190). However, migration visas have additional requirements and specific selection criteria.
  • What if your evaluator needs more documents?
    Firstly, make sure you have provided all the requested documents listed in our MSA Prospectus in your application. Engineers Australia will make a decision based on the information and documents provided. There may be no further correspondence if there are deficiencies. In the event that your assessor requires further information or documents, a request for additional information will be sent to you via MyPortal, allowing you one month to address the deficiencies. You will find details of your assessor's requests by clicking on "Provide additional information" and provide the additional information and relevant documents. Engineers Australia will make a decision on your application based on all information and documents submitted, including the additional information and documents.
  • What happens if you are not satisfied with the result of your assessment?
    You can request a review of your application. The relevant forms and fees are available on our website. During a review, your application will be assessed by an independent assessor and you will be notified of the outcome of your review by email. A review can take up to eight weeks. A review can only be requested within three months of receiving the result of the original assessment.
  • I have a Master's degree in Australia, do I still need to take an English test for the Skills Assessment?
    If you have completed: an undergraduate engineering degree in Australia, a two-year master's degree (92 weeks full-time) or a PhD programme at an Australian university, you do not need to submit an English language test to apply for your skills assessment. You will only need to provide a document certifying that you have successfully completed your degree in Australia.
  • Can I take the Skills Assessment without professional experience?
    Of course you can! You can take the Skills Assessment without professional experience and validate your academic degree. However, it is important to note that, for immigration purposes, at least 3 years of professional experience is required.
  • Will the Skills Assessment help me to find a job as an engineer?
    The Skills Assessment is highly valued by employers and increases your credibility as a professional. Although it is not a specific requirement in all job vacancies, mentioning it on your CV shows that you meet Australian standards and that your skills have been positively assessed.
  • What kind of visas can I apply for after taking the Skills Assessment?
    After the skills assessment you will be able to apply for different work visas in Australia, among the most common are: General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas: These visas include the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) and the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190). Employer Sponsored visas: Including the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) and the Temporary Skill Shortage visa (TSS). Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485): This visa is intended for international graduates who wish to gain work experience in Australia after completing their studies. For more details, I invite you to visit our free resource library and download our complete guide to visas you can apply for with your skills assessment. However, this list may vary, so please check the specific requirements for each visa on the Home Affairs website.
  • What documents can I submit to validate my work experience with Engineers Australia as a self-employed person?
    There are different types of supporting documents you can submit, such as: letters from clients or contractors, copies of invoices, business organisation chart, official business registration, tax returns, and bank statements. SkillsPRO tells you which documents will help you to achieve a positive Skills Assessment result.
  • What are the eligibility requirements to apply for the Skills Assessment with Engineers Australia?
    Eligibility requirements vary according to skill category and engineering profession. In general, a recognised engineering degree, relevant work experience and proficiency in English are required.
  • What documents do I need to submit as part of my Skills Assessment application?
    Typical documents include CVs, copies of academic qualifications, transcripts, employment references, proof of competence in English and self-authored documents (career episodes, summary statement, CPD).
  • How can I check if my engineering degree is recognised by Engineers Australia?
    You can consult the list of recognised degrees at the following link.
  • I am not sure if my qualification is accredited or not, what should I do?
    Please check the International Engineering Alliance (IEA) website under the Qualification Checker to ensure that your qualification is accredited through the representative body of the signatory country. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your qualification is indeed an accredited programme before applying through the Accredited Qualifications pathway. Engineers Australia will not provide reimbursement if it is subsequently determined that your qualification is not accredited.
  • What does "Fast Track" mean?
    If you choose the Fast Track service, your application will be fast-tracked and assigned to an assessor on a priority basis. Once you have applied, your application will be assessed and an assessor will be assigned to you within 15-20 working days. You may select the Fast Track service option at the time you submit your application or you may submit your Fast Track service application online after submission. However, the timeframe for receiving a result depends solely on the quality of the submitted application. This means that, if the application is complete and ready to be assessed, it can be finalised within a few days after being assigned to a case officer. However, if the assessor requires additional documentation, it will be up to you to provide such additional documentation as quickly as possible. Applications that are returned are assigned directly to the assessor and are not placed back in the queue. Engineers Australia is not responsible for the time taken to finalise assessments due to incorrect or incomplete applications.
  • What is the cost of Engineers Australia's fast-track service?
    The additional charge for this service is AUD$357.50.
  • What happens if I have different spellings of my names in different documents?
    Generally, Engineers Australia will consider the name on your passport to be your official name. If there are discrepancies in your name on different documents, or if you are using different spellings of your names, you must provide official name change documents, which may include: Marriage certificate, gazettement and an official letter or certificate issued by the Registrar. Please note that an Affidavit will not be accepted as an official name change document.
  • What is CPD (Continuing Professional Development)?
    CPD is a record of all the formal and informal activities you have undertaken as part of your training for your nominated engineering occupation. EA looks at all those activities you have undertaken to acquire knowledge and progress your learning. The CDP should be in list format and follow a chronological order. It should be no longer than one page and include full details such as titles, location, date of activity, etc.
  • How long does it take to review the documents submitted?
    Review time may vary depending on the workload and complexity of your application. Engineers Australia makes every effort to process applications in a timely manner, but please note that it may take several weeks.
  • What documents can I submit to validate my work experience with Engineers Australia as a self-employed person?
    There are different types of supporting documents you can submit, such as: letters from clients or contractors, copies of invoices, business organisation chart, official business registration, tax returns, and bank statements. SkillsPRO tells you which documents will help you to achieve a positive Skills Assessment result.
  • Can I attach certified copies to an online application?
    No, Engineers Australia only accepts high-resolution colour scans of original documents for online applications.
  • How should I submit my documents for an online application?
    All required documents must be high-resolution colour scans of original documents and must have a resolution of at least 300 dpi. Certified and black and white documents are not accepted for online applications. Where documents are not in English, you must upload documents in the original language and their English translations. Documents that you have created yourself, such as career episodes or a CV, can be uploaded directly.
  • The profession of my university degree does not have the same name in Engineers Australia's list of qualifications, what do I do?
    Don't worry, you can still homologate your profession in Australia. You just need to go through the ANZCO list of occupations in detail and find the one that most closely matches your skills. Remember that Engineers Australia assesses skills, not university qualifications.
  • In my country engineering takes 4 years, can I still validate it with Engineers Australia?
    Yes, in fact, in Australia, engineering studies last 4 years.
  • What kind of translation do I need for my Skills Assessment documents?
    If you are looking to do your Skills Assessment, it is important that your documents are officially translated, either in your home country or in Australia. However, if your ultimate goal is to obtain permanent residency, I recommend that you opt for NAATI translations. These will be useful for your residency application without the need for additional translation. Please note that to apply for a skilled visa, you will require NAATI translations of: Professional degree Supporting employment documents, such as: Employment letters. Pay stubs. Bank statements. Employment history Pension and health documents. We invite you to check which of our skillsPRO plans include the translation of some of your documents for your skills assessment application. If you need an additional specific translation of a document that is not included in the plan, Entrelingo's translation services will provide you with a solution for the required documents.
  • Do I have to pay the full amount of the plan before I start?
    It is not necessary to pay the full amount of the plan before starting. For the Ultimate and Premium packages, the payment is divided in two parts: an initial deposit of 50% to access the service and the rest is paid once we complete the service. If you have any doubts about which plan is best suited for you, we invite you to write to us at:
  • How to start?
    To get started, assess your profile and learn about your opportunities by completing our eligibility survey to verify if you meet the minimum requirements. Then, schedule a free consultation with SkillsPRO to clarify your doubts and evaluate the options we offer according to your specific needs.
  • What does the paid resource library include?
    Our paid resource library includes: Step-by-step guide to applying for the Skills Assessment Step-by-step video guide to applying for the Skills Assessment Checklist of supporting documents for application Checklist of tips for receiving validation in record time Format and tips for creating Essays/Career Episodes Example 1 of Essay/Career Episode Sample Essay/Career Episode 2 Sample Summary Statement Summary Statement Format CPD Statement Format Sample CPD Statement Resume Format and Tips Sample Resume Cover Letter Format and Example Labour Certification Format Sample Labour Certification (with tips) Job Certification Template List of professions endorsed by Engineers Australia Checklist of residence visas that can be obtained with Skills Assessment
  • How is your occupation categorised?
    The classification of your occupation is done according to groups A, B, C, D and E by VETASSESS for assessment purposes, based on the skill level indicated in ANZSCO: - Skill Level 1: Australian Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree (Group A or B). - Skill Level 2: Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Associate Degree, AQF Advanced Diploma or AQF Diploma (Group C or E) - Skill Level 3: AQF Certificate III (with additional years of employment) or AQF Certificate IV (Group D)
  • How much work experience is required for the Skills Assessment?
    Engineers Australia does not have a minimum work experience requirement. If you are taking the Skills Assessment for immigration purposes, you must have at least 3 years of work experience to gain points in your Skilled visa application.
  • I have limited engineering experience, can I still apply for an assessment of my engineering degree?
    Yes, you can still apply. Please note that work experience is not a mandatory requirement. You may be able to demonstrate your competences by referring to your undergraduate engineering degree and the project/work experience elements of your academic studies. Please note that if you have relevant experience of twelve months or more, or if the work experience provides a basis for a Professional Episode, you must provide a letter of reference from your employer.
  • How is my work experience assessed during the Skills Assessment process?
    Engineers Australia assesses the relevance and level of your work experience in relation to your chosen occupation. Aspects such as the scope and complexity of the projects you have worked on are considered.
  • How is international work experience assessed during the Skills Assessment?
    Engineers Australia assesses international work experience in a similar way to local experience. You are required to provide documents that support your roles and responsibilities, as well as an official English translation if the documents are in another language.
  • Can I validate my work experience with Engineers Australia if I have had periods of self-employment?
    Yes, you can, as long as you provide all supporting documentation that allows them to verify those periods of employment as an entrepreneur / self-employed / contractor / entrepreneur in your profession, including the responsibilities you were responsible for.
  • My work experience is not exactly related to my university degree, which one is valid and with which institution?
    In Australia, university degrees are not recognised, skills are recognised. For example, a telecommunications engineer can be approved as an electronics engineer, a systems engineer as a telecommunications engineer, and an electronics engineer as a systems engineer. The occupation on the SOL (skilled occupation list) and your duties in the ANZCO are the determining factors as to which entity should accredit an occupation. If you have performed 70% or more of the tasks in a specific ANZCO code, then that is your occupation in Australia. The university degree is not a factor in determining the occupation. So, the occupation that most closely relates to the activities you have performed, that is...!
  • Can I use the letter of employment without the functions I performed?
    The employment letter without the detailed roles will not be valid for Engineers Australia. It must include at least five detailed duties as an engineer that are compatible with AZNCO.
  • How long is the result of the English test valid?
    From 1 March 2021, Engineers Australia accepts IELTS, TOEFL iBT and PTE Academic English language test results for a maximum of three years from the date of the test at the time of receipt of your application.
  • Does Engineers Australia accept combined exam results?
    In particular cases, they may accept multiple test scores, provided that all scores are valid at the time of application, and the required score in each module has been achieved at least once. They may accept a combination of multiple TOEFL iBT® or IELTS® scores, but NOT a mixed combination of the two different tests. For example: It would be acceptable to provide the following test scores, as long as both tests are valid at the time of submission.
  • What are the English proficiency requirements for the Skills Assessment?
    Engineers Australia accepts English language proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL or PTE Academic. Minimum scores are listed in the table below:
  • What are career episodes?
    Career episodes are a crucial part of your Skills Assessment. A career episode is a detailed explanation of your engineering education and the skills you developed and applied throughout your degree and work experience. In it, you should indicate and explain how your competences are appropriate for the projects you worked on. Basically, it is about showing all your engineering knowledge and skills. There are certain rules you should follow when writing a career episode: You should create 3 career episodes, each of 1500-2500 words. As far as possible, do not talk about teamwork. Engineers Australia wants to assess your individual contribution to the project. You should use first person narrative when writing career episodes. Language should be clear and concise, without redundancy or unnecessary explanation. It can be a challenge to meet all of these points and write the episodes appropriately.
  • What is a Summary Statement?
    A summary statement is equally important as the career episodes and CPD (Continuing Professional Development); therefore, it should be written with the same intelligence and professionalism. Basically, it is a cross-reference to the paragraphs you wrote in the career episodes. Therefore, it is necessary to number all the paragraphs of the career episodes. You should mention all your achievements in the summary statement and connect them to the corresponding career episodes. Make sure that you write one summary statement for all three career episodes. You can see that all elements of a CDR report are lengthy and tedious. They require a lot of time and patience to write a good CDR report. Even if you choose to hire professional writers, it can take approximately 2-4 weeks to complete your report.
  • How long does it take to write 3 career episodes, a summary statement and a CPD?
    Preparing three career episodes, a summary statement and a CPD for your skills assessment is a laborious and time-consuming process. It is essential to thoroughly research and document each stage of your engineering education and experience. This can take several weeks or even months, depending on your availability and previous experience in creating technical reports. In addition, you must comply with Engineers Australia's (EA) strict guidelines, which requires meticulous attention to detail and a thorough understanding of what is expected in each section. For this reason, we recommend considering the advice of experienced professionals to streamline the process and increase the chances of a successful approval.
  • How can I get an EA-approved Career Episode for a Skills Assessment?
    Getting a career episode approved by Engineers Australia (EA) for your Skills Assessment is a challenge that requires a solid understanding of the regulations and guidelines set out by EA. You must prepare each career episode strictly according to their criteria and ensure that they clearly demonstrate your technical skills and competencies. This involves presenting solid and specific evidence of your achievements in previous projects. Any deviation from EA's standards can significantly delay the approval process and put your application at risk. To increase your chances of success and avoid potential setbacks, it is highly recommended to seek the advice of professionals experienced in the preparation of such Career Episodes. With their experience, they can guide you through each step, ensuring that your documentation meets all the requirements and increasing your chances of a quick and smooth approval by EA.
  • Can I use my thesis to create the essays?
    Of course! You can use your thesis as a basis for creating your essays. It is important to make sure that the information you include in your essays is closely related to the degree you are seeking accreditation for.
  • Can I submit essays in Spanish?
    You cannot, necessarily must, submit your essays in English. This is why you need to have your English language ability assessed when you apply to Engineers Australia. Remember that our skillsPRO plans will meet this requirement with the quality writing support that is required.
  • How long does it take to deliver the essays?
    Depending on the plan you have chosen, it will take us a maximum of three weeks to write your three essays once you select your topics and complete our survey.
  • What is the guarantee offered by the SkillsPRO methodology?
    At SkillsPRO we guarantee that we will be with you until you receive your outcome letter. If Engineers Australia requests additional documentation, we will provide you with the necessary support and accompaniment, even after you have made your application.
  • Who will I meet at the paid specialist consultancy?
    In our paid consultancy you will meet with at least three qualified and highly experienced skills assessment engineers.
  • What does paid specialist consultancy include?
    Our paid consultancy gives you the opportunity to ask all the questions you have about your skills assessment process, document review and application itself. Our goal is to make sure that you make your application in the best possible way to get a positive response in the shortest possible time.
  • By what means will the communication be if I buy a plan?
    According to the plan you purchased, you will have a number of progress consultations in your process. When you purchase one of our services, we will contact you and follow up with you through our email, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • What experience does the team in charge of my application have?
    The team in charge of your application has more than 5 years of professional experience in helping other engineers to succeed in their skills assessment and to complete their application efficiently. You can review the full background of the team on our website here.
  • Do I need proof of English to be approved by ACS?
    No, the Australian Computer Society (ACS) does not require English language tests for skills assessments.
  • Do I have to provide my undergraduate qualifications if I have a master's degree for the ACS skills assessment?
    Yes, it is recommended that you provide all documentation for your underlying qualifications, including your bachelor's or engineering degree, even if you have a master's degree.
bottom of page